If you work in construction, on a farm, or as a mechanic, you know how important it is to wear clothing that is durable, comfortable, protective, and functional. Maybe you’re a lumberjack, mason, welder, line worker, or plumber. Maybe you’re in the mud one day and shoveling gravel the next. You need clothing that can withstand tearing, ripping, abrasion, stains, heat, cold, moisture, and dirt. You also need clothing that has pockets, loops, hooks, zippers, buttons, snaps, or velcro to store your tools and accessories. (And you need clothing that meets the safety standards and regulations of your industry.)
But what are some of the popular and durable clothing items for construction and mechanic workers? What brands offer quality workwear that can last for years? What are some of the features to look for when shopping for work clothes? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and more.
Work Pants with Tool Pockets
One of the most essential clothing items for construction and mechanic workers is work pants with tool pockets. These pants are designed to hold your hammer, pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, tape measure, utility knife, and other tools securely and conveniently while you work. They also have reinforced knees, crotch, and seams to prevent ripping and tearing from bending, squatting, and kneeling.
Some of the popular brands that offer work pants with tool pockets are Carhartt, Dickies, Wrangler, Duluth Trading, etc. These brands use durable fabrics such as cotton, canvas, denim, or ripstop nylon that can resist abrasion and stains. They also offer different fits such as relaxed, straight, or slim to suit your preference and comfort.
Work Boots with Slip Protection
Another essential clothing item for construction and mechanic workers is work boots with slip protection. These boots are designed to protect your feet from injuries caused by falling objects, sharp edges, nails, electric shocks, chemical spills, etc. They also have rubber soles with tread patterns that provide traction and grip on slippery surfaces such as oil, water, mud, or snow.
I liked the Timberland PRO boots linked above so much that I own two pairs. They have a safety toe and slip-resistant soles. They’re also comfortable and durable.
Some of the popular brands that offer work boots with slip protection are Timberland Pro, Red Wing, Caterpillar, Wolverine, etc. These brands use leather or synthetic materials that are waterproof or water-resistant to keep your feet dry and comfortable. They also offer different features such as steel toe caps, composite toe caps, alloy toe caps, soft toe caps, electrical hazard protection, puncture resistance, insulation, etc. to meet your specific needs and safety standards.
A tool belt is a handy accessory that allows you to carry your tools around your waist while you work. A tool belt usually has multiple pouches, holsters, loops, hooks, clips, or magnets to hold your tools securely and conveniently. A tool belt also helps distribute the weight of your tools evenly across your hips and lower back to prevent strain and fatigue.
Some of the popular brands that offer tool belts are Occidental Leather, CLC Custom Leathercraft, Gatorback, DEWALT, etc. These brands use leather or nylon materials that are strong and durable. They also offer different sizes, styles, colors, and configurations to suit your preference and profession.
Work Shirt determined by weather
Depending on the weather conditions where you work, you may need different types of work shirts to keep you warm or cool while you work. You might also need reflective strips or high visibility, or pockets for storage. Some common types of work shirts are:
Work t-shirts: These are lightweight shirts made of cotton or polyester that wick away sweat and moisture from your skin. They usually have crew necks or v-necks and short sleeves to keep you cool in hot weather.
Some examples of brands that offer work t-shirts are Carhartt, Hanes, Gildan, and Dickies.
When buying construction t-shirts, there are some factors to consider such as:
- Fit: You want to choose a fit that is comfortable and allows you to move freely without being too loose or too tight. You also want to avoid any excess fabric that can get caught on machinery or tools.
- Fabric: You want to choose a fabric that is durable and can resist wear and tear from your job. You also want to choose a fabric that is breathable and moisture-wicking to keep you cool and dry. My personal choice for this is “athletic” fabrics like polyester, nylon, or spandex-mix-type fabrics.
- Color: You want to choose a color that matches your company’s logo or uniform if applicable. You also want to choose a color that is appropriate for your work environment, such as bright colors for visibility or dark colors for dirt resistance.
- Features: You want to choose features that can enhance your performance and convenience such as pockets, reflective strips, logos, etc.
Construction t-shirts are essential clothing items for anyone who works in construction. They provide comfort, durability, and functionality for your job. By choosing the right brand, fit, fabric, color, and features, you can find the best construction t-shirt for you.
Construction Shirts: More Than Just Tee Shirts
If you work in construction, you know that tee shirts are not the only option for your workwear. There are many other types of construction shirts that can suit different needs and preferences. Here are just a few of them:
- Work Shirts: These are button-front shirts that have chest pockets, collars, and long sleeves. They can provide more protection and professionalism than tee shirts. They can also be made of flame-resistant materials for safety.
- Cooling Shirts: These are shirts that have special features such as mesh panels, ventilation holes, or moisture-wicking fabrics. They can help you stay cool and dry in hot weather.
- Safety Shirts (and vests): These are shirts that have high-visibility colors such as orange or yellow, or reflective strips or logos. They can help you stand out and be seen in low-light conditions.
- Flame Resistant: These shirts may look like any other shirt, but as the name implies, they are flame resistant. Perfect for welding, grinding, and maybe even camping.
Construction shirts come in various types, styles, and materials to suit your work environment and personal taste. By choosing the right type of construction shirt for you, you can improve your comfort, performance, and safety.
Okay. This post got to be a lot more involved that I expected when I started writing and researching. Look for part 2 where I’ll talk about cold weather gear and more.